NOTICE: You are viewing a page of the openwetware wiki. Our "dewikify" feature makes a wiki page appear as a normal web page. In April 2017, this feature will GO AWAY and this URL will redirect to the source URL on our wiki. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Contents

For current website see begradboard.mit.edu

Date: 10/06/2005
Time: 12:00pm
Place: 56-614


Annual Survey

  • Originally next Tuesday to report on Saturday, change to Wednesday
  • Data processing should not be a problem
  • Diana will send out the email to invite people to take the survey, multiple emails

Graduate Program Review

  • Last Friday – Diana and Barry presented a summary of the ten responses, and the results of last year's survey, results are posted on the wiki if anyone is interested
  • Email specific topics to the board and request feedback

Student Awards

  • Recommendation from Doug’s first BATS talk
  • Discussion started on the wiki
  • Some of the awards are feasible, such as posters at the retreat
  • Go back to Doug with a few initial awards and potentially
  • Megan P – awards for TAing
  • Jason – may be easier once the be major is implemented,
  • Can we award faculty? Can we promote things which already exist, can we also do the TAing nomination at institute level
  • Campaign at the institute level for BE professors

Student Directory

  • Wiki feedback seems pretty positive
  • Going to contact the institute about necessary permissions
  • Add wiki page and let people add themselves initially if they choose to – not yet
  • Objective is to have lab contact, year of entering etc…

First-year representative role/elections

  • Reprise what we have discussed about the position last meeting
  • Intend to take nominations after this meeting and arrange elections
  • Nomination by email and then elections will be decided

BE board and BMES Interactions

  • With undergrad major and the undergrad students may need to interact more
  • ASA – confused about the coexistence of BMES and BE board
  • Need to send a letter to clear up the confusion
  • BMES will blanket the undergraduate majors affiliated with all bio related majors
  • BMES want to have a mixer between undergrads and grads
  • Concerns with poor turnout at softball game
  • Let BMES members to coordinate activities with the social chairs

Academics

  • Advisor-advisee events
    • Advisee – advisor study break – October 19th if advisors are not caught up in ICSB, move to Oct 18th
  • ISS
    • Industrial seminar – bioethics
    • Steve Tannenbaum requested changing – told to ask other professors
    • Danielle – Zach Shriver, patent law, nature editor scientific publishing
    • Poll people who show up at the seminar -

Social Committee

  • TGIF
    • Friday Oct 28th, indoor BBQ, Halloween theme 11:30- 1:30
    • Need to cross schedule with the ISS
    • Planning a brewery tour with Al for October TGIF – 21st of Oct
    • Harpoon may be an option instead of Sam Adams, preferences?
    • Danielle – harpoon tour, basically just sitting at the bar drinking…
  • Other
    • Contact GSC about the grad ring for BE ring, social event at the muddy, be this fall

First-year dinner evaluation

  • Receipts to Mariann
  • Request from a first year for buffet restaurants in the future

Academic career mentoring events

  • The workshop mentoring events, only one event last year
  • Described on the wiki
  • Discussion page, first meeting on the 17th of October, formal announcement will go out

Community service

  • Weekend day or a weeknight at 5pm?
  • Community Serving
    • October 19th evening
    • Make meals and deliver them to people who are housebound
    • In Roxbury, need to drive there, two cars
  • Can food drive
    • doesn’t necessary require a time commitment
    • class competition
  • Habitat for humanity – 7am-4:30pm, weekend in November, December

Diversity

  • Interlab Lunch
    • First interlab lunch two days ago
    • Purpose is to get people to get to know each other before trying bigger
  • Caribbean lunch on Nov 17th
  • Diversity meeting later today to decide how else to celebrate the caribean culture
  • December – presentation about being a minority alters the career path

GSC Rep

  • Katrina relief – 15,000 dollars to support projects
  • Past a resolution – to review graduate student diversity across campus
  • Want reps to talk about things from single department, reps to help department heads to be able to bring these issues up

IM Sports

  • Order shirts – old design or new design?
  • Competition to redesign IM T-shirts

Treasurer

  • Email Jordan your expenses, Mariann gets the receipt
  • Social – last few were more expensive than the average
  • Jordan will email overall budget to individual groups

UG representative

  • Dinners with grad and undergrad students
  • BE180 and BE109 – course development on the wiki if you are interested in checking out what is going on
  • Short talks from the professors about the new courses being added to the curriculum and how things fit into the overall
  • General talks about course development and education in general
  • Maybe put into open Bats slots, open BE seminar slots
  • Talk to Reshma about incorporating with academic seminars